Gallery is a popular open source project for photo sharing web application solutions. Gallery is the name of the main product, an online photo album organizer. At myhosting.com, we offer Gallery hosting and support with our Linux hosting platform.
Gallery 2 is the upgraded version of the original Gallery. If you own a website with PHP and a proper database support, you can upload Gallery 2 and manage your photos on your website. Gallery is easy to use and maintain albums of photos via an intuitive interface. Its photo management options are highly complex, includes thumbnail creation, image resizing, rotation, ordering, captioning, searching and more. Since it is open source software, you can create your own themes and modules in addition to existing ones.
It’s great for communities, since it allows creating accounts for different users under your permission. Users can view, edit and delete photos according to their permission level that you set.
Gallery works with PHP 4.3.0+ and PHP 5.0.4+. The framework is object-oriented, uses the MVC pattern, has versioned APIs, is 100% i18n ready with much active localization, has a built-in database abstraction layer supporting many different DBMS, and is well tested with an ever increasing number of unit tests.
You can integrate Gallery with your blog, your CMS / Portal, your forum (has phpBB,SMF,vBulletin support) and your wiki applications.
Here are a few of the features, as taken from the Gallery Website.
- Easy to create Photo Albums
- Easy ways to add Photos, e.g. with Drag and Drop Tools
- Photo and Album Administration and Editing
- Auto-Generation of Thumbnails and Resized Images
- Handles Many Image Formats
- Easy Installation and Upgrades
- 100% Multi-User Ready
- User and Group Management
- Themeable – Change the Look and Feel by Switching Themes. Code and Presentation are Separated.
- Comprehensive Permission Management (Album and Item Level)
- Extensible – Add / remove Features by Installing ‘modules’ and Change the Look by Switching ‘themes’
- Over 25 Integrations into CMS, Portal, Forum, Blog Software and other Systems
- Internationalized – Over 20 Mostly Complete Translations (and Many More Less Complete Translations)
- Community Building Features (User-Albums, Comments, User Self-Registration, etc.)
- Scalable – Manage Over a Million Items and Thousands of Users
- Image Firewall (Downloads are Protected Through Application-Level Permissions)
- Secure – Gallery has been audited by several core developers and by paid professionals for application security
- Portable – Gallery runs on any webserver with PHP 4 or PHP 5 and with a wide variety of database servers
- Multimedia Ready – Watch Streaming Videos, Listen to Music, …
- Unlimited Number of Sub-Album Levels
By the way, Gallery Beta 3 has recently been published, which means we will see Gallery 3 very soon.
And stay tuned for Part 2 in our Gallery 2 series, which will explain how to get your Gallery installed and set up!