Hello myhosting.com users, readers and all. We wanted to provide you all a heads up on a virus threat that’s very recently been discovered. It’s a rather nasty one so we’re providing the details below so you can protect yourself.
Details can be found on symantec’s site: http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/new-round-email-worm-here-you-have
Security Response has confirmed reports of a worm spreading through email under the subject “Here you have”. The mail to the unsuspecting recipient claims to be providing a document available through a URL. The URL is spoofed and actually points to a malicious program being hosted on a different server.
The email will appear similar to the following:
In this instance, the actual file downloaded would be named ‘PDF_Document21_025542010_pdf.scr’ and is housed on the domain ‘members.multimania.co.uk’. This file is a minor variation of W32.Imsolk.A@mm. The main characteristics of the worm’s functionality are as follows:
- Spread through mapped drives through autorun
- Spread through email by taking contacts from the address book
- Spread through instant messenger
- Disables various security related programs
Symantec users will be protected from this threat under the name “Trojan Horse”, if virus definitions version 20100909.023 or later are applied.
- Hosted Exchange Email now available from myhosting.com
- myhosting.com Mobile Email Solution Awarded for Excellence @ Parallels Summit 2011 Awards
- What does your email address tell people about you?
- Not all email is created equal: an introduction to POP3, IMAP4 and MAPI
- Caution: Domain Name Phishing Scams on the Rise