Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Installing Gallery2 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Gallery2

Are there any easy-to-follow instructions for installing and configuring Gallery 2?

I thought it would be easy... WordPress was easy. And I was doing fine with installing Gallery2 until it started talking about needing an existing database... That stopped me dead in my tracks, I didn't know what I was supposed to do at that point. Go find a database app somewhere and install it? That seems to defeat the purpose of touting Gallery2 as a cool provided freebie with a hosting plan.

Or is there a similar application that can be recommended that is easier to install?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Bev

Re: Installing Gallery2

Hello Bev,

A tutorial about Gallery 2 is in our to do list but currently there is no step by step guide. Anyways, let me try to help you with the installation.

Couple of questions, first...
    1- Can you please login to your control panel then go to "Site Management" then click on "mySQL Administration" from the left menu... What do you see? Does it give you a link to create a database? If so click on it, please.
    2- Did you successfully start "Gallery 2.2 Installer" which is an 11 step process

Let me know if these help...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by community-manager
      Couple of questions, first...
      1- Can you please login to your control panel then go to "Site Management" then click on "mySQL Administration" from the left menu... What do you see? Does it give you a link to create a database? If so click on it, please.
      2- Did you successfully start "Gallery 2.2 Installer" which is an 11 step process
      Timur, thanks for your help. It looks like I've already clicked the link to create the database. I see a link now to "Administer your MySQL account."

It has actually been quite a while since I attempted the install process, but yes, I did begin the process and then aborted it when I got to the database questions and didn't know what to do.

Bev

Comment

Hello Bev,
        Now that you have created a database, you should be able to continue with Gallery 2 installation. When you come to Database step (I think it was step 5), system will automatically bring database settings...
        Pleae give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Thank you,

Comment

Timur,

Thanks again for your help. I've started the installation process again. At Step 2, System Checks, I get a Warning on the last item in the list, "Gallery file integrity." It says below it that there are three modified files. I'm going to go ahead and continue to Step 3, but if I hear from you that I need to start over, I will. I'll let you know what I run into as I go along.

Bev

Comment

The installation appears to have gone OK. I'm trying now to configure ImageMagick and it's asking me for the "Directory to ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick binaries." I entered the path to the ImageMagick folder, but apparently that is not what it wants.

Bev

Comment

Hello Bev,
              I wouldn't worry about the modified files at this point.

About ImageMagick problem: I did successfully repeat the problem and you are right, there is something wrong with that plug-in. I am escalating the issue to our Technical Team. Keep watching this forum, I will get back to you as soon as I hear from them.

Thank you for your patience,

Comment

Bev,

Here is what our Technical team told me:

"We do not support imagemagick. We do support gd2. This is why we did not support gallery until version 2.1 when they added support for gd2." I hope this is not a big inconvenience for you.

Thank you,

Comment

That's OK Timur. Thank you. I am using Gd 1.1.1., which is what was provided with my Gallery2 installation from your server. How do I get Gd2?

I was asking about Imagemagick because the docs for Gallery2 recommended something other than Gd because it says that Gd is a resource hog and slow. I hope Gd2 is better, but I need to get it! How?

And while we're on the subject of upgrading, how do upgrades of Gallery2 and WordPress work? Do I wait for myhosting to offer an upgrade, or can I upgrade directly when one is offered from their respective websites? I keep getting a notice when I log into my blog that there is a newer version of WordPress available, but I don't know what I should do about it.

Bev

Comment

Hello Bev,
                    Let me gather answers to your questions and get back to you.
                    Thanks

Comment

Hello Bev,

gd2 is already installed on the server and the version you are using is: 2.0.34.

And about the upgrades: As we wouldn't know which of our customers do/want or require upgrades, we leave it to their discretion but I need to let you know that we try hard to keep our apps as current as possible.

These links may help you get going with upgrades:

Wordpress has a good guide on how to upgrade: http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress
                      Gallery also has some info: http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2ownload#Upgrades

Thank you,

Comment

Thank you for the upgrade info, Timur.

Regarding Gd, when I go to Site Admin > Plugins on my Gallery site, it tells me that the installed version of Gd is 1.1.1.

Bev

Comment

If you create a text file named phpinfo.php and isert the following text in the file:

Code:
                          <?php phpinfo() ?>
                          Then upload the file to your site, then browse to http://your-domain.com/phpinfo.php, you can see some more information about the version of GD that is installed on the server, among other things. This information might be confusing to read for the novice, but contains tons of information about the versions of various plug-ins etc.

Regardless of the version number, the installed GD component will allow you to use the Gd Graphics Toolkit in Gallery2. It has been tested previously with our Linux-platform hosting service. If you have any other problems, let us know.

Comment

Working...
                          X