Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Host Directory Name? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Host Directory Name?

I'm trying to define my website in Dreamweaver CS3 and it wants to know the name of the host directory for my website. Nowhere in the myhosting website do they provide that information. I can open and see my files in file manager, but nowhere is the path or name of the host directory shown. I'm a newbie - what am I missing? Does myhosting connect to the correct directory automatically?

Re: Host Directory Name?

Hello Jlondonphoto,

I can understand your frustration. Let me try to help you.

Steps to Publishing / Uploading Your Dreamweaver Site
    To publish your website, start up the Site Manager. To do this, click "Site | Manage Sites...", that is, click on the "Site" menu followed by the "Manage Sites..." item on the menu that appears. In the dialog box that appears, click on your website's name, then the "Edit..." button.

The dialog box you encountered when you first set up your website appears. Click "Next..." until you come to the screen with the message "How do you want to connect to your remote server?" In the drop down box, select "FTP".

Basically you will need to enter the information that we provided you when you first signed up for a web hosting account. This information is generally provided in the welcome email. If you don't have access to that email then here is a tip: your ftp site address is the same as your web site address, if your site is http://www.mysite.com then you can use the same address for a FTP address.

Transferring your pages from your computer to your web host's computer is known as "publishing" or "uploading" your pages.

In the empty box for "What is the hostname or FTP address of your Web server?" enter the FTP address that we gave you.

To answer "What folder on the server do you want to store your files in?", just leave it blank.

Enter your FTP user name or login name into the box for "What is your FTP login?".

If you like, you can click the "Test Connection" button to check that you have entered all the information correctly. When you are finished, click "Next..." and "Done" to complete the configuration.

Finally, to publish your website, click "Site | Put". When Dreamweaver pops out a message asking you whether it should "Put dependent files?" answer "Yes". This merely means that it is to upload things like your images and CSS files that are required by your web pages. If you don't want to answer this question every time you publish an updated version of your website, check the box "Don't show me this message again".

*Part of this tutorial belongs to http://www.thesitewizard.com

Comment

Originally posted by community-manager
      In the empty box for "What is the hostname or FTP address of your Web server?" enter the FTP address that we gave you.
      That's my problem. Nowhere in my account log-in information (or anywhere else on the site that I can find) is the hostname or FTP address of the Web server that you gave me. How do I re-obtain that information and shouldn't that just be available along with my other personal information when I log-in with my password?
      I haven't updated my website for 2 years and I'm having to re-learn how I did it the first time but with new software. I've forgotten and mis-placed a lot.
      Thanks, by the way, for the reply. The latter part will be especially helpful.

Comment

JLondonPhoto,

Here is the deal. I talked to customer support and they told me that the only way to get that info is to call them and make a request. You need to make sure that the email address that is on file is working as customer support will email that info to that address.

You can access Customer Support numbers for your region from the link below.

http://myhosting.com/Help/phone-support.aspx

Let me know if you need further help.

Comment

Working...
        X