Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Form Security Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Form Security

I run a community website built using Microsoft Expression. In the site I have a contact form. Recently some idiot has been typing a bunch of nothing in the form and sending it, which it gets forwarded to my email. It's getting very annoying and I'm wondering what I can do to stop it. :x Any recommendations?

Re: Form Security

Hello 1decentguy,

THe solution to your situation could be as easy as starting to use a CAPTCHA in your form. This would work if and only if the submitter is an automated program. I also recommend that you capture the "Environment Variables" of the user. Environment variables will let you know what the IP address of the user, its browser type, country, and plus bunch of other info. You may use these info to block the user.

I hope this helps.
    Thank you,

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I have several ways to stop certain words from being submitted. It does require some scripting. I use ASP. If you know the email Addy of of the loser er user of course you can just put some code in your response form page to send it back to the user. Let me give you a simple example in VBscipt, which you can convert the Jscript of PHP or whatever (too many program languages!)
        Go to my chat room and use this word as a "user name" shit or any of the words in the code and see what happens. Then you will see how it works from the html side. Now let us put some code in here for you to see. Sorry but you have to use the worst words that the loser er user might possible use. I really do not like to use them in the code but found no other way!
        :geek:
        Code:

Iname = Ucase(Trim(Request.Form.Item("ChatName")))

If Instr(1,Iname,"GOD",1) OR Instr(1,Iname,"DAMN",1) OR Instr(1,Iname,"SHIT",1) _
              OR Instr(1,Iname,"FUCK",1) OR Instr(1,Iname,"BITCH",1) OR Instr(1,Iname,"SUCK",1) _
              OR Instr(1,Iname,"BASTARD",1) OR Instr(1,Iname,"PISS",1) OR Instr(1,Iname,"JESUS",1) _
              OR Instr(1,Iname,"PRICK",1) OR Instr(1,Iname,"DICK",1) OR Instr(1,Iname,"CRAP",1) _
              OR Instr(1,Iname,"PEE",1) OR Instr(1,Iname,"MOTHERF",1) OR Instr(1,Iname,"CUNT",1) _
              OR Instr(1,Iname,"PUSSY",1) OR Instr(1,Iname,"TWAT",1) OR Instr(1,Iname,"PUBIC",1) _
           Then
              Session.Abandon
              Response.Cookies("Redirect") = "<FONT COLOR=RED>You can't use those words in here! Go wash your mouth out with soap.</FONT>"
              Response.Redirect("name.asp")
           End If
        There are a few more things to do like make sure the response cookie gets cleared.
        Now I just use some numbers to stop the auto emails which makes me wonder what the fuss is about having gif image with two different words which are always hard to see. But I have a small site yet I was getting spammed every day all day until I put this simple code in, which I am showing you because you could use this for an email Addy
        Here is the form page with the numbers and the code to stop it below that.
        http://whytehouse.com/form.asp
        Code:
        (javascript right on the form page)
        if (form.num.value != 596231){
        alert("Please enter the correct number value on this form");
        form.numbers.focus();
        return false;}
           Response.Redirect("form.asp")
        End If

Comment

How does the form send? If you use php to send just add some conditional tests and make sure the person is entering. More than likely those are all bots testing your defenses. Definitely toss up a captcha, that'll save a ton of emails.

Comment

I would suggest doing a quick read over the free reCaptcha service and learn to use their API. It's extremely effective and comes with lots of features such as oral reading of the captcha, reloading the captcha image, and more.

Comment

I second RichardLeik's suggestion of using reCAPTCHA to mitigate spammy submissions.

reCAPTCHA: Stop Spam, Read Books

Comment

Working...
              X