Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Joomla 1.5.9 set-up Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joomla 1.5.9 set-up

Anyone can give me heads-up on the correct set-up for joomla? I uploaded all 3,000+ files, but when I enter my site /Folder to start the installation, I get this:
    Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
    thanks

Re: Joomla 1.5.9 set-up

Hello Veronika,

We have an Application Manager located in your control panel at https://support.myhosting.com that installs Joomla for you. However the current version is not the most up-to-date release. There were some permissions issues with the more recent versions of Joomla which you might be able to alleviate by disabling your .htaccess file. I'll ask our Customer Support team to get in touch with you so they can get some more specific information and perhaps offer some more customized assistance in getting it up and running.

Also, we are working to get the latest version in our Application Manager. I will post an update here once it's ready. This will allow you to install it on your account more easily.

Comment

Our Application installer has now been updated to Joomla 1.5.8. If you're still having difficulty with the install I invite you to try out our installer from https://support.myhosting.com.

Comment

I did a manual install, all went almost well but...

I still have a problem as I cannot get SEO working. I think it might be my .htaccess. I have open ticket, but support suggested joomla forum. Well I'll try it here as well:

I have followed the suggestion of:
        #testing if mod_rewrite is enabled on the server
        Options +FollowSymLinks
        Redirect /SkyGarden/joomla.html http://www.joomla.org
        It did not worked, so I assumed that is is already set on the server. However when I enable SEO in the back end, I get these types of error messages for all pages but the home page:

The requested URL /SkyGarden/about-skygarden was not found on this server.

This is in the .htaccess
        #Options +FollowSymLinks
        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteBase /SkyGarden
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/SkyGarden/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.htm|\.php|\.html|/[^.]*)$ [NC]
        RewriteRule ^(content/|component/) index.php
        RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} mosConfig_[a-zA-Z_]{1,21}(=|\%3D) [OR]
        RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} base64_encode.*\(.*\) [OR]
        RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (\<|%3C).*script.*(\>|%3E) [NC,OR]
        RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} GLOBALS(=|\[|\%[0-9A-Z]{0,2}) [OR]
        RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} _REQUEST(=|\[|\%[0-9A-Z]{0,2})
        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php [F,L]

Joomla is in a folder /SkyGarden and the .htaccess is in that folder. I don't have any .htaccess in the root.

Any suggetions?? I am trying to "retrain" myslef from FrontPage.... not easy

Problem SOLVED by this set-up in joomla global config.:
        SEO Settings
        Search Engine Friendly URLs Yes
        Use Apache mod_rewrite No
        Add suffix to URLs No

Comment

Originally posted by tima
          Our Application installer has now been updated to Joomla 1.5.8. If you're still having difficulty with the install I invite you to try out our installer from https://support.myhosting.com.
          Well too late for me now, but I did try it and it is much easier. However I still noticed the same problem as I am having..
          If you set SEO in joomla config to YES, the pages show something like this:
          http://your.domain.com/SkyGarden/index.php/about-skygarden
          that part in red (index.php) should not be there..
          How can we get rid of it?? Could someone with Joomla experience look into it??

Thanks

Comment

Hi Veronika,

I'm not a Joomla expert, but I got some help from one. On my own Joomla site I found that setting "Use Apache mod_rewrite" to "Yes" from the Administration interface fixed this issue.

This can be found from the Admin page under Site - Global Configuration - Site - SEO Settings

Comment

Originally posted by tima
              Hi Veronika,

I'm not a Joomla expert, but I got some help from one. On my own Joomla site I found that setting "Use Apache mod_rewrite" to "Yes" from the Administration interface fixed this issue.

This can be found from the Admin page under Site - Global Configuration - Site - SEO Settings
              Trouble is when I do it, I cannot load any, but the home page. I must be missing something in the .htaccess. Which version of joomla do you have?

Comment

Hi Veronika,

I was testing with 1.5.8. I made sure to get a copy of my .htaccess file before and after this setting change, it did not appear to make any modification in the actual .htaccess file itself, but I guess it could be related.

I'm not sure if there are any changes between 1.5.8 and 1.5.9 which might explain it or if it is due to something else. Would you be able to share the contents of your .htaccess file? (With any personal details removed of course.)

Comment

Did you run the application install of joomla or did you install it yourself? I run the system install on another domain, it created .htaccess folder! that I am not able to view in order to compare it.
                  The current .htacces is attached. (cannot attach php or txt file0, so here it is
                  P.S.
                  Jeremy is looking into it now. Perhaps you was your "joomla expert"...

##
                  # @version $Id: htaccess.txt 5973 2006-12-11 01:26:33Z robs $
                  # @package Joomla
                  # @copyright Copyright (C) 2005 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved.
                  # @license http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html GNU/GPL
                  # Joomla! is Free Software
                  ##
                  ################################################## ###
                  # READ THIS COMPLETELY IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THIS FILE
                  #
                  # The line just below this section: 'Options +FollowSymLinks' may cause problems
                  # with some server configurations. It is required for use of mod_rewrite, but may already
                  # be set by your server administrator in a way that dissallows changing it in
                  # your .htaccess file. If using it causes your server to error out, comment it out (add # to
                  # beginning of line), reload your site in your browser and test your sef url's. If they work,
                  # it has been set by your server administrator and you do not need it set here.
                  #
                  # Only use one of the two SEF sections that follow. Lines that can be uncommented
                  # (and thus used) have only one #. Lines with two #'s should not be uncommented
                  # In the section that you don't use, all lines should start with #
                  #
                  # For Standard SEF, use the standard SEF section. You can comment out
                  # all of the RewriteCond lines and reduce your server's load if you
                  # don't have directories in your root named 'component' or 'content'
                  #
                  # If you are using a 3rd Party SEF or the Core SEF solution
                  # uncomment all of the lines in the '3rd Party or Core SEF' section
                  #

##### SOLVING PROBLEMS WITH COMPONENT URL's that don't work #####
                  # SPECIAL NOTE FOR SMF USERS WHEN SMF IS INTEGRATED AND BRIDGED
                  # OR ANY SITUATION WHERE A COMPONENT's URL's AREN't WORKING
                  #
                  # In both the 'Standard SEF', and '3rd Party or Core SEF' sections the line:
                  # RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
                  # May need to be uncommented. If you are running your Joomla!/Mambo from
                  # a subdirectory the name of the subdirectory will need to be inserted into this
                  # line. For example, if your Joomla!/Mambo is in a subdirectory called '/test/',
                  # change this:
                  # RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
                  # to this:
                  # RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/test/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
                  #

## Can be commented out if causes errors, see notes above.
                  #Options +FollowSymLinks

#testing if mod_rewrite is enabled on server
                  # Options +FollowSymLinks
                  # Redirect /SkyGarden/joomla.html http://www.joomla.org
                  #Well this did not work, so it must be enabled on the server, right?
                  #

# mod_rewrite in use

RewriteEngine On

# Uncomment following line if your webserver's URL
                  # is not directly related to physical file paths.
                  # Update Your Joomla!/MamboDirectory (just / for root)

RewriteBase /SkyGarden

########## Begin - Joomla! core SEF Section
                  ############# Use this section if using ONLY Joomla! core SEF
                  ## ALL (RewriteCond) lines in this section are only required if you actually
                  ## have directories named 'content' or 'component' on your server
                  ## If you do not have directories with these names, comment them out.
                  #
                  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/SkyGarden/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
                  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.htm|\.php|\.html|/[^.]*)$ [NC]
                  RewriteRule ^(content/|component/) index.php
                  #
                  ########## End - Joomla! core SEF Section

########## Begin - 3rd Party SEF Section
                  ############# Use this section if you are using a 3rd party (Non Joomla! core) SEF extension - e.g. OpenSEF, 404_SEF, 404SEFx, SEF Advance, etc
                  #
                  #RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/SkyGarden/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
                  #RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.htm|\.php|\.html|/[^.]*)$ [NC]
                  #RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
                  #RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
                  #RewriteRule (.*) index.php
                  #
                  ########## End - 3rd Party SEF Section

########## Begin - Rewrite rules to block out some common exploits
                  ## If you experience problems on your site block out the operations listed below
                  ## This attempts to block the most common type of exploit `attempts` to Joomla!
                  #
                  # Block out any script trying to set a mosConfig value through the URL
                  RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} mosConfig_[a-zA-Z_]{1,21}(=|\%3D) [OR]
                  # Block out any script trying to base64_encode crap to send via URL
                  RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} base64_encode.*\(.*\) [OR]
                  # Block out any script that includes a <script> tag in URL
                  RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (\<|%3C).*script.*(\>|%3E) [NC,OR]
                  # Block out any script trying to set a PHP GLOBALS variable via URL
                  RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} GLOBALS(=|\[|\%[0-9A-Z]{0,2}) [OR]
                  # Block out any script trying to modify a _REQUEST variable via URL
                  RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} _REQUEST(=|\[|\%[0-9A-Z]{0,2})
                  # Send all blocked request to homepage with 403 Forbidden error!
                  RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php [F,L]
                  #
                  ########## End - Rewrite rules to block out some common exploits

Comment

The primary differences I see is in this section:

Code:
                    #  Uncomment following line if your webserver's URL
                    #  is not directly related to physical file paths.
                    #  Update Your Joomla! Directory (just / for root)

# RewriteBase /

########## Begin - Joomla! core SEF Section
                    #
                    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/index.php
                    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.php|\.html|\.htm|\.feed|\.pdf|\.raw|/[^.]*)$  [NC]
                    RewriteRule (.*) index.php
                    RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization},L]
                    #
                    ########## End - Joomla! core SEF Section
                    I believe you can comment out the RewriteBase line since the server does use physical file paths. Also there might be something in the RewriteCond and RewriteRule statments that might make a difference. The only difference between my installation and yours is that you have installed it in a sub-directory, but assuming your .htaccess file is in the sub-directory that joomla is in, it shouldn't make a difference.

Comment

Unfortunately, when I uncomment that line and set "Use Apache mod_rewrite to YES" I get this:
                      The requested URL /SkyGarden/about-skygarden was not found on this server.
                      So I am stuck with URL like this: /SkyGarden/index.php/about-skygarden

Comment

Perhaps it is one of the RewriteCond or RewriteRule that needs tweaking?

Comment

Working...
                        X