Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Exchange Alternate EMail Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Alternate EMail

I recently subscribed to Exchange email hosting here at MyHosting.com. For the most part the transition has gone smoothly. I am however a bit perplexed on how to handle an email account, from another domain that I own, in Microsoft Exchange. I was under the impression that I should set up an alternate email address for that email address and that I should forward the secondary email to myself. That doesn't make sense because the email will look like it is "to" me at the primary domain. I need to discern which domain the email was originally sent to so that I can create a rule and have the email delivered to the proper sub-folder.

I'll break this down into an example;
    Let's say my primary email address and Exchange account is for

mikec@crunchybiscuits.com

My secondary POP email account is mikec@tastytators.com

So how do I get the secondary email into my Exchange account and make it look like it was sent "To" mikec@tastytators.com?
    Last edited by mikec; 2010-08-26, 01:22 PM. Reason: Set noparse around email tags

Hey mikec,

There are two types of forwarding, Outlook refers to the two differently but most email systems do not clarify properly but do it the way you're referring.

In Outlook, you can forward messages or redirect messages and redirecting is more of what you're looking for. When you redirect a message, the message From & To Addresses of the original stays the same.

In most email systems, it is actually redirection that occurs when you specify forwarding on the server side (in your email administration panel). In all cases however, the email header information will contain the original details so you can always create rules based on header information.

Certainly, within our Exchange systems, you can also use the email aggregator instead of forwarding and this will have the same effect as redirection, the only difference is that it is generally slower to retrieve mail then if it was forwarded since the aggregator is required to check for mail periodically.

Comment

Thanks Jeremya. I believe I understand what you're saying. Following my example above it sounds like I should create an Alternate Email called something like TastyTators@CruncyBiscuits.com, redirect the email to that account, and that would allow me to capture this unique forwarded email looking at the "To" field and allowing me to place it in a specified folder via some rule. In other words anything that came in as 'TastyTators' would be immediately identified as originating from the other domain. Otherwise I would have to burrow through the header information and look for the origin. I'd rather be able to see it visually and immediately in the "To" field. I'll give that a quick test to see if my brainstorm works.

Yes, I saw the aggregate email utility but the latency in email delivery kinda bothered me so I would rather attempt something different to improve delivery speed.

I'll post back the results from my test.

Thanks,
      Mike C.

Comment

Ok, I think I'm in good shape now. I was originally forwarding the email, from the other domain, to my primary Exchange address which made the "To" field look like my primary address. Now that I've created a unique Alternate Address the email comes in with the proper name in the "To" field and to my surprise doesn't contain the alternate address. I like it!!!

I don't know why the solution didn't come to me earlier. I think I was stuck in a "do loop" (a little programming humor there )

Thanks for your help jeremya.

Mike C.
        Last edited by mikec; 2010-08-26, 01:21 PM.

Comment

No problem. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
          X