Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Joomla and Phpbb Coexisting on Linux? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joomla and Phpbb Coexisting on Linux?

I have the Phpbb bulletin board currently running on my Linux server and wondered if adding Joomla would cause a problem? I want to be sure that if I load Joomla, it won't interfere with the bulletin board software or database. Please advise.

Thanks,

Re: Joomla and Phpbb Coexisting on Linux?

No, it shouldn't cause any problems. They can happily co-exist on the same site using the same database.

A good general practice when installing an application that will share your MySQL database is to give the tables a unique prefix. For example give your phpBB tables a phpbb_ prefix and your Joomla tables jcms_ prefix. They can be anything you like, as long as you don't re-use the prefix on multiple applications. Many of these applications will do that for you during the installation, and those that don't will often allow you to specify one anyway.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks, Tim.

I'll give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by tima
        No, it shouldn't cause any problems. They can happily co-exist on the same site using the same database.

A good general practice when installing an application that will share your MySQL database is to give the tables a unique prefix. For example give your phpBB tables a phpbb_ prefix and your Joomla tables jcms_ prefix. They can be anything you like, as long as you don't re-use the prefix on multiple applications. Many of these applications will do that for you during the installation, and those that don't will often allow you to specify one anyway.

Hope this helps!

My database tables do have the phpbb prefix and hopefully they will be okay if I install Joomla. However, when I get to the step in the Joomla install it mentions that it "will overwrite all files", that made me nervous because I don't want it to overwrite any other files that might be on the Linux server that relate to my Phpbb forum installation. Does that statement mean it will overwrite files that might be common to both Joomla and Phpbb or does it means it wipes out everything that is already there?

For example, in the root of the Linux server, I have the following directories:

cgi-bin, tmp, logs, and doc. Within "doc" is the entire structure of the phpbb forum files. I'm hoping that Joomla won't tamper with these files.

Still a bit nervous about proceeding. Any feedback would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Comment

Sorry for the delay in replying.

If you were to install both applications in the same directory, and there are any files that are named the same, they would be overwritten.

Therefore, I would recommend that you install Joomla and phpBB in separate directories, this way one won't overwrite the other.

You could install Joomla in the /docs/ folder since it will power the main part of your site. Then you could create a sub-directory called /docs/phpbb/ or /docs/forum/ and install phpBB there.

Also, as long as you choose different database prefixes for Joomla and phpBB, the database information from one will not overwrite the other in your MySQL database.

Comment

Working...
          X