Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
How To Setup a Word Press Blog Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How To Setup a Word Press Blog

    I'm new to this hosting service and it's been awhile since I created a blog with Word Press.
    Can anyone provide a simple list of things I need to do to start this up?
    Or possibly a link with some info.
    Thank you!

  • #2
    Hi FredD,
    You may follow these steps below and you’ll see it’s a piece of cake to start a blog up!

    1. Login to support.myhosting.com with your domain name and password.
    2. You’ll see a ‘Hosting’ button on the upper left of the screen.
    3. After clicking, you’ll get a new menu located on the left side of the screen.
    4. Under Web Site Tools you’ll see Application Manager.
    5. Click and open it.
    6. Choose Wordpress and press “Go”.
    7. Click continue.
    8. There will be open a new window will be opened up named ‘Wordpress Installation’.
    9. Determine the prefix of your blog name.
    (Let’s say you registered “fredd.com”. Do you want to use blog.fredd.com or choose another prefix like mylife.fredd.com? )
    10. Choose plugins that you wanna install into your blog.
    11. Click Continue
    12. Wait for a few minutes for installation to start.
    13. WordPress’ famous 5 minute installation process will begin.
    14. Find a title and enter your e-mail. (You can change them anytime later)
    15. Press “Install WordPress” button.
    16. It will provide you a username and password. (A copy of your information will be emailed to you). Note them carefully for future references.
    17. Click Login.
    18. Enter your username and password and your WordPress is ready to use

    For further questions you can send me an email anytime.
    birgeb@softcom.com

    Birge
    Community Manager

    Comment


    • #3
      Birge,
      Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately everytime I click on GO (your step 6) I get a 500 Error for the last two days.
      I am now waiting for the tech staff to fix it.
      I'm getting a bit nervous with the support.
      Fred

      Comment


      • #4
        They just corrected the problem and it all makes sense now.
        I am finishing the install.
        Thanks for the information!
        Fred

        Comment


        • #5
          Glad to hear you got it fixed. WP Blog is the way to go! Good luck.
          http://www.thepictureshare.com/img/j/B.jpg
          Last edited by tahoemnts; 2009-08-10, 02:00 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi FredD,
            It was pleasure to help you!

            Comment


            • #7
              I will be installing Wordpress in the next couple of days. I would like to get some clarification on a couple of things:

              1. the installer asks for "Please enter the directory you want to install WordPress to". Unless I leave this blank, all of the files will be copies under the /docs folder of my account.

              2. I do not need to do these three steps l had to do on my personnal home server:
              • Create a database for WordPress on your web server, as well as a MySQL user who has all privileges for accessing and modifying it.
              • Rename the wp-config-sample.php file to wp-config.php.
              • Open wp-config.php in your favorite text editor and fill in your database details as explained in Editing wp-config.php to generate and use your secret key password.
              3. Say in question 1 I chose to install in folder blog will wordpress now be accessible at http://blog.mydomain.com?

              Thanks

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by eme43sap View Post
                1. the installer asks for "Please enter the directory you want to install WordPress to". Unless I leave this blank, all of the files will be copies under the /docs folder of my account.
                Yup, that's correct. So if you'd like your blog to be accessible at Example Web Page , you should leave that field blank. If you'd like your blog at http://example.com/something , put "something" in that field.

                Originally posted by eme43sap View Post
                2. I do not need to do these three steps l had to do on my personnal home server:
                • Create a database for WordPress on your web server, as well as a MySQL user who has all privileges for accessing and modifying it.
                Correct! You already have a MySQL database and user, so there's nothing you need to do here. The WordPress installer will create the necessary database tables for you. Each table will be prefixed with "wp_", making it easy to determine which tables belong to WordPress.

                Originally posted by eme43sap View Post
                • Rename the wp-config-sample.php file to wp-config.php.
                • Open wp-config.php in your favorite text editor and fill in your database details as explained in Editing wp-config.php to generate and use your secret key password.
                Right again. Our Application Manager will do all of that for you. Easy, eh?

                Originally posted by eme43sap View Post
                3. Say in question 1 I chose to install in folder blog will wordpress now be accessible at http://blog.mydomain.com?
                If you put "blog" into that form field, your blog will be at http://mydomain.com/blog . If you'd like it to be at http://blog.mydomain.com , you'll need to create a sub-site in your account.

                Keep in mind that there are SEO advantages to putting your blog at http://mydomain.com/blog : search engines will consider it to be part of mydomain.com , whereas blog.mydomain.com will be considered a separate site from mydomain.com .

                Does that answer all of your questions? If not, just holler.
                -Nick

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Wordpress

                  Originally posted by birge View Post
                  Hi FredD,
                  You may follow these steps below and you’ll see it’s a piece of cake to start a blog up!

                  1. Login to support.myhosting.com with your domain name and password.
                  2. You’ll see a ‘Hosting’ button on the upper left of the screen.
                  3. After clicking, you’ll get a new menu located on the left side of the screen.
                  4. Under Web Site Tools you’ll see Application Manager.
                  5. Click and open it.
                  6. Choose Wordpress and press “Go”.
                  7. Click continue.
                  8. There will be open a new window will be opened up named ‘Wordpress Installation’.
                  9. Determine the prefix of your blog name.
                  (Let’s say you registered “fredd.com”. Do you want to use blog.fredd.com or choose another prefix like mylife.fredd.com? )
                  10. Choose plugins that you wanna install into your blog.
                  11. Click Continue
                  12. Wait for a few minutes for installation to start.
                  13. WordPress’ famous 5 minute installation process will begin.
                  14. Find a title and enter your e-mail. (You can change them anytime later)
                  15. Press “Install WordPress” button.
                  16. It will provide you a username and password. (A copy of your information will be emailed to you). Note them carefully for future references.
                  17. Click Login.
                  18. Enter your username and password and your WordPress is ready to use

                  For further questions you can send me an email anytime.
                  birgeb@softcom.com

                  Birge
                  Community Manager
                  Thanks a lot man. that was really helpful nice explanation.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    dont forget to change your privacy setting to allow SE's to see your site. The default has it hidden.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi

                      You can setup a word press blog through wordpress and clearly lear about wordpress rules and regulations.

                      By
                      John Claim

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks Birge!

                        dont forget to change your privacy setting to allow SE's to see your site. The default has it hidden.
                        Good point.

                        http://www.imgsnatch.com/img/n/9.jpg

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by morganjames View Post
                          dont forget to change your privacy setting to allow SE's to see your site. The default has it hidden.
                          Yes. This is a good point. I always have to make this change in the backend.
                          http://www.thepictureshare.com/img/j/B.jpg

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks that was very helpful.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Excellent This information is exactly what I was looking for because if I do set up a site I will be using WordPress to do so because of the great reviews it has gotten

                              You guys are really on the ball with this kind of thing There are also a lot of great tips from users here Should probably sticky this thread if it has not yet been stickied

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X