Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Creating Directory Above Root Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating Directory Above Root

Hi,

I need to create a directory above my site's root directory, but when I FTP into my account it automatically takes me to the root directory. Is there any way that I can get access above the root?

Thanks in advance.

TheWebScaper,

I am not sure if what you ask is possible but I will ask our technical team and get back to you.

Birge
    Community Manager

Comment

Hi again,

I talked about your question with our technical team and they are saying that, It actually depends on the account. Windows 2008 accounts you can, but windows 2003 and linux you can't however you can create folders in your logs and tmp folders on the linux accounts which are outside of the root folder (/docs). We checked that your account and all of your Windows hosting plnas are Windows 2003-based. Our customer support might e able to help you to Windows 2008 if you really need this feature.
      You can visit myhosting.com - Need Help? Our 24-7 In-House Customer Support Service is ready to assist you.

Regards,
      Birge
      CM

Comment

Hi Birge,

Thanks for checking! The account for which I need to create the directory is a client site of mine - domain is oxfordrescue.org. It is a basic hosting on Linux.

I think it would be fine to use either the logs or temp folder and create a sub-directory in there. How do I access them, however? When I FTP in, I do not see those folders. I also am not seeing those directories through File Manager.

If this is something support needs to help with I can contact them. Thanks for your help so far!

Kym

Comment

Hi,
          In this case, it's better to contact with support team, since this kind of technical issues are way ahead of me. They'll help you better =)

Let me know if you have another questions.
          Birge
          CM

birgeb@softcom.com

Comment

I have the same problem

I need to create a directory that contains passwords, so the directory must not be publicly accessible. The only way to do this (that I know of) is to create it above the root folder (docs). However, when I tried to create the directory, my FTP program gave me error #550 "permission denied". I also tried to create the directory using MyHosting's browser-based File Manager, but I wasn't able to navigate above the root folder.

Did you contact support? What did they say?

Thanks,
            Shane.

Comment

Hi Shane. You can do this quite easily with an Apache htaccess file.

Create the directory that you'd like to store your protected files in. This directory can be located anywhere in your website's directory heirarchy.

Next, create a file named ".htaccess" (without the quotes) in that directory, and put the following Apache directives in it:
              Code:
              IndexIgnore *
              Order Allow,Deny
              Deny from all
              Now create some files and directories in your protected directory, and try to view them in a web browser. You should receive an HTTP 403 Forbidden error.

If you have any questions, just holler!
              -Nick

Comment

Working...
              X