Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
how to multiple Wordpress instances Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to multiple Wordpress instances

morning,

Could you tell me how to install multiple instances of Wordpress on my account? I have one instance currently.

If I'm using "Control Panel > Linux Subsite > Application Manager > Manage Word Press" I see:
    "Manage WordPress
    WordPress is installed on your Linux web site. Click the links below to access the application.
    End User Site
    http://design.focusdesign.com/blog"

How would I get around this and what exactly do I need to do? In searching Support/help, etc I'm seeing this addressed directly in terms of step by step unless I missed it.

Thank you....Bob

You can certainly install multiple instances of Wordpress to your linux account however. During the installation of the second Wordpress location, you would just have to specify a custom prefix in the database settings. I believe by default the prefix is wp_ so you could setup the second one using wp2_ or similar and this will allow you to have two table sets (or as many as you like really).

You would however be forced to use something like blog.yourDomain.com/blogSite1 and blog.yourDomain.com/blogSite2 based on your current configuration; particularly if you wish to leave your asp store within your main domain hosting space. Depending on how you've decided to use SSL (be it vanity SSL or an Instant SSL dedicated SSL certificate) would greatly determine aswell how you should go about setting this up. A vanity SSL setup would be easier to move around while Instant SSL is directly associated with the domain name you choose and would not apply to subdomains should you choose to change that later.

All in all, if installing those two blogs under the subdomain subfolders is not an option for you a recreation of your account may need to be considered. During the signup process there are options to set the windows or linux side as your primary which would make the setup easier in post.
    http://myhosting.com/forums/archive/...php/t-209.html
    myhosting Customer Support team will be happy to assist you with this. You can contact them at support@myhosting.com, or by phone at 1-866-289-5091

Comment

Thank you for your response. I have come across this very same response and I am still unclear. As I said exactly where should the setup take place as when per above the message is that it is already installed and there is no option past that that I can see. Could you tell me exactly where in the control panel this it to be done? thanks

Comment

Hi Bob,

Where do you want to install your 2nd wordpress blog? If you'd like it to create a new wordpress installation on blog.focusdesign.com , you'll need to create a new sub-site in your account.

Alternatively, You can also install your 2nd wordpress blog via FTP
        Installing WordPress WordPress Codex
        Installing Multiple Blogs WordPress Codex

Actually, there is no reason why you cannot do it!

To confirm this, I just tested it out on a myhosting.com Basic account using only 1 MySQL database, and it works like a charm. When configuring your two blogs, just make sure that you specify a different table prefix for each blog. So for example wp1_ for your first blog and wp2_ for your second. And you can just upload the files to different sub-directories, for example you can have mysite.com/blog1 and mysite.com/blog2.

And there's no reason why you can't have more than 2, as long as you make sure to store the data for each blog in separate MySQL tables.

The only problem with this is that whenever there's a new version, you have to upgrade 2 times

As an alternative, you may be interested in trying something like WordPress MU which allows you to configure multiple blogs with only a single code-base. So it would be similar to what they do with the wordpress.com blog hosting service.
        http://myhosting.com/forums/myhostin...ne-domain.html

Cheers
        Last edited by suwunk; 2011-04-03, 09:57 PM.

Comment

thanks and another question

Thank you for your help...

Sounds like the way to go for me is configuring the single database and FTPing the WP files up. Question for you re "When configuring your two blogs, just make sure that you specify a different table prefix for each blog." ... really basic...exactly how is this done?

Just a matter of creating the new folder via FTP, loading the WP install files in there and install?

Thanks again for your help...

Comment

What is your WordPress version?
            On WordPress 3.x, you have the ability to create a network of sites (Multisite) which allows you to configure multiple blogs with only a single code-base.
            Details:
            Create A Network WordPress Codex

If you use WordPress 2.x you can use WordPress MU to create multisite which allows you to configure multiple blogs with only a single code-base
            Details:
            WordPress MU WordPress Codex

If you want different table prefix methods like this , you can use this example:
            mysite.com/blog1
            table prefix: wp1_

mysite.com/blog2
            table prefix: wp2_

Cheers
            Last edited by suwunk; 2011-04-04, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Thank you again for the response. However I could use a direct answer to this:

"If you want different table prefix methods like this , you can use this example:
              mysite.com/blog1
              table prefix: wp1_

mysite.com/blog2
              table prefix: wp2_"

Bear with me and a direct answer to this would be good ... do I need to make any changes to the db table before the installation? as in the table prefixes or is this to take place during the WP installation? Let's say I am going to use WP 3. So a matter of putting files via FTP into a new folder (blog2 for example) and running the installation there?

thanks

Comment

http://codex.wordpress.org/images/th...tall-step3.png
                Enter this prefix during installation.

Comment

Working...
                X