Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Good Computer for the Youth Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Computer for the Youth

I'm thinking about helping one of my younger siblings get a computer for social and school purposes. She's only 15 so I don't want to get her anything particularly expensive because she is bound to wreck it within a few years. I just want something inexpensive that will let her surf the net, play games and do basic research without moving at the speed of a snail.

Desktop or laptop doesn't matter, although I lean towards a desktop because I don't trust her not to have a laptop stolen...

nothing against your sister but i would say that cheaper is better and the less it includes the better. at that age you get all kinds of spy ware and stuff on your computer just because you don't know any better.

i would also second your opinion that a desk top is better because it's less likely to get stolen when she takes it somewhere she shouldn't or get dropped. check out outlet stores and sites or something like that.

Comment

Dell usually has some decently cheap computers in their outlet, both laptops and desk tops.
      They're usually a little outdated, but for someone that young I don't think that cutting edge technology is really necessary.
      On a personal note, I'd make her pay for at least part of it so she'll have a little more respect for it.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses! This is a great community to be involved in. I'm still looking for more input if possible though!

Comment

Well i'd say gift her a laptop .. maybe inexpensive one.. desktops are outdated and you want your sister to be progressive not go back in time.

Its also a lot to do with personality and psychology at that age.. I say laptop

Comment

Bang for Your Buck

If you've got a budget to respect then desktop computers are definitely the way to go, especially if your daughter doesn't have any high-end computer programming needs.

Comment

hmmm - I say net book - small and cheap. Its also not as great of a loss if it breaks

Comment

Spend a little extra

Even though desktops are cheaper, the mobility you get from laptops is priceless!

Comment

Actually, the availability of new technology presents some excellent pricing on laptops nowadays. Make sure you compare both types before you buy!

Comment

Working...
                  X