Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
PHP Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP

Hi all...

Everything I've read says the latest version of Windows server will run PHP. I run a blog but the software requires PHP so I'm stuck over on the Linux server with a "split domain"---also, I can't use search and a few other things I have that require PHP

So why can't the Windows Servers run PHP?

Chris Reich

TeachU.com Blog is off on Apps.teachu.com BIG dud.

Re: PHP

Hi Chris,

It's our feeling that PHP runs best on it's native environment, which is Linux/Apache. Similarly for ASP/ASP.NET on Windows/IIS. There are a host of complications that come with running either on their non-native environment.

If it's really something you need and the free-Linux account on a sub-domain isn't working for you, why not make a post on http://ideas.myhosting.com. We're always looking to see what our customers need and where we can improve.

Comment

This experience has been the first time I am not happy with MyHosting.com

I have several domains myself and all of my clients with MyHosting.

I was told to cancel my accounts and then re-establish new accounts to move to the new server which is supposed to support PHP and thus, I could get my blog onto my site instead of a sub-domain.

I decided to to do two of my domains first---
      This has been a mess. First, both sites were prepaid into future months. Still, I was charged a prorated amount for this month and my prepaid amounts vanished. And, after all the work of backing up domains and sub-domains, the Blog does not work on either site. And I had to recreate email accounts. Since the new server doesn't seem to support the PHP required, I had to go back to the d**n sub domains again.

So, after hours and hours of work, I'm back where I started EXCEPT I lost money in the process.

Now I think I ought to move the whole lot---my domains and my client's and the 2 new ones I have pending---out of MYHOSTING. I hate to even consider that after 12 years with you....

Chris

Look at Innisfreeranch.com (Blog) (TeachU.com is back on the sub-domain)

Comment

Hi Chris,

Sorry for any difficulty. Regarding the billing issues, I'm sure we can resolve those to your satisfaction. Rather than discuss them here in a public forum, I will have someone contact you directly to sort it out.

Since your first post we did launch PHP on our Windows 2008 platform. You mention having difficulty setting up a PHP-based blog on your site. I'm curious to know what application you are using and what some of the difficulties you encountered were? If you have time to share, perhaps we can look into some of the issues or at least share some knowledge which might help someone else in the future.

Thanks,

Comment

Hi Tim...

I'm using EZ Generator.

My Blog is here:

http://apps.teachu.com/blog/teachublog.php

Because it would not function on the new server, I was forced to return to the sub-domain. Which makes my site "clunky".

Your people can have full access to the files.

If you go here:

http://innisfreeranch.com/ You'll see the blog page does not work---the support guys say it's a server side issue. But I don't know how to help. When I publish to the Linux server, it works fine. So I have no idea what I need to do.

Chris

Comment

Is this it? http://www.ezgenerator.com/

Comment

Yes.

We found the problem but myhosting was not able to correct it.

I ended up canceling my Windows plan and going with the cheaper Linus server only in order to avoid the sub domain. I moved innisfreeranch.com and it's fine.

My other sites are too robust and will need the other features --- so, I guess I'll have to shop service providers to find a host which will support .net asp and PHP

Here is what the problem is:

blog scripts breaks on this php call: session_start();
              this is build-in php function as described here: http://be.php.net/session_start
              this is simple php function, used in almost all (ezg) php scripts ...
              i created test.php file on your server with just 1 line of php code :
              <?php
              session_start();
              ?>

Anything beyond a simple search box require a session start---since that function is blocked by myhosting's server, there isn't really a work around. We put a simple page with only

<?php
              session_start();
              ?>

And it would not run. So, I again had to cancel then set up a new account on the Linux server only. And again, credit was not applied but charges went through for the new account. The tech was VERY helpful Saturday.

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Sorry you're still having difficulty. Regarding the billing issue, I think we've sorted it out. I don't want to put financial information up here on the forum, but if you contact our CS Team they can give you more detail. I believe Jeremy has already been in touch with you, so you can reply directly to him.

I still haven't been able to get the EZ Generator blog working either. Although when installed on our Linux platform, it works like a charm with little intervention. I wonder if there are any PHP on Windows experts out there? Or perhaps we can look at it from a different angle... perhaps the ASP solution you want to implement is available in PHP/Perl and could be implemented on a Linux based hosting platform?

Comment

The problem is entirely with "session Start"

Your servers do not allow a session start call.

This is a common command to almost all PHP applications that require some user interaction.

Make a page called test.php

Put only this

<?php
                  session_start();
                  ?>

It will show the error 500 (server error)

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

I have two test sites with the same file, containing only:

Code:
                    <?
                    session_start();
                    ?>
                    You can visit them here:

http://win.ezgenerator.myhosting.net/test/index.php (Windows 2008 & IIS 7)
                    http://ezgenerator.myhosting.net/test/index.php (Debian Linux & Apache)

Neither returns an error.

Comment

Then there was a change since last Saturday. I put a file ONLY that. It would not work and gave the error 500---the tech on duty last Saturday tried as well. (Linda?) She can verify it. The one who helped me downgrade my plan to Linux only.

Chris

Comment

http://teachu.com/Test.php

Does not work.

Chris

Comment

Just for the sake of completing the discussion, we corrected two php related issues which correct the issues mentioned in this thread.

Comment

Windows now supports PHP:

http://www.phponWindows.ca

Regards,
                            Shane.

Comment

Tim...

Feel free to contact me by email---

Also, I think you've fixed it by jove! And I'm thrilled.

Feel free to delete this thread from your discussion board too. We can take the technical resolution off the board---I know where we are with this and I thank you.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X