Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
How Do I Install a PHP Extension? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Install a PHP Extension?

Greetings,

I would like to install the Alternative PHP Cache. How do I do this? I'm on the Linux Basic hosting.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I would like to install it because I'm trying to develop a file upload progress bar.

Thanks,
    Shane.
    Last edited by sgoodman; 2009-07-16, 12:04 AM. Reason: why I'm trying to install

G'day Shane. It looks like you've already asked this question. As far as I know, the security implications still prevent us from installing Alternative PHP Cache.

Cheers,
    Nick

Comment

Nick,

Could I install it myself, in a secure way?

Thanks,
      Shane.

Comment

Unfortunately, that's not possible. APC must be installed system-wide, which means that it would be available to everyone on the server. If this was done, each user could manipulate each other user's cache. That definitely wouldn't be cool (IE: it'd be a huge security risk).

-Nick

Comment

updates

Any updates on this process?

Comment

the following site recommends using perl or jsp. I can't directly vouch for the code of course but you should be able to grab the snippets of the perl code you need.
            Mega Upload :: PHP File Upload Progress Monitor

Comment

Progress Meter

Jeremya,

If you can get it working, let me know.

Thanks,
              Shane.

Comment

NO notification

o resto vc tradus porai, acabei de entrar não sei muita coisa disso aqui.

Comment

How Do I Install a PHP Extension?

After installing PHP and a web server on Windows, you will probably want to install some extensions for added functionality. You can choose which extensions you would like to load when PHP starts by modifying your php.ini. You can also load a module dynamically in your script using dl().

The DLLs for PHP extensions are prefixed with php_.

Many extensions are built into the Windows version of PHP. This means additional DLL files, and the extension directive, are not used to load these extensions. The Windows PHP Extensions table lists extensions that require, or used to require, additional PHP DLL files. Here's a list of built in extensions:

In PHP 4 (updated PHP 4.3.11): BCMath, Caledar, COM, Ctype, FTP, MySQL, ODBC, Overload, PCRE, Session, Tokenizer, WDDX, XML and Zlib

In PHP 5 (updated PHP 5.0.4), the following changes exist. Built in: DOM, LibXML, Iconv, SimpleXML, SPL and SQLite. And the following are no longer built in: MySQL and Overload.

The default location PHP searches for extensions is C:\php4\extensions in PHP 4 and C:\php5 in PHP 5. To change this setting to reflect your setup of PHP edit your php.ini file:

You will need to change the extension_dir setting to point to the directory where your extensions lives, or where you have placed your php_*.dll files. For example:

extension_dir = C:\php\extensions

Enable the extension(s) in php.ini you want to use by uncommenting the extension=php_*.dll lines in php.ini. This is done by deleting the leading ; from the extension you want to load.

Example #1 Enable Bzip2 extension for PHP-Windows

// change the following line from ...
                  ;extension=php_bz2.dll

// ... to
                  extension=php_bz2.dll

Some of the extensions need extra DLLs to work. Couple of them can be found in the distribution package, in the C:\php\dlls\ folder in PHP 4 or in the main folder in PHP 5, but some, for example Oracle (php_oci8.dll) require DLLs which are not bundled with the distribution package. If you are installing PHP 4, copy the bundled DLLs from C:\php\dlls folder to the main C:\php folder. Don't forget to include C:\php in the system PATH (this process is explained in a separate FAQ entry).

Some of these DLLs are not bundled with the PHP distribution. See each extensions documentation page for details. Also, read the manual section titled Installation of PECL extensions for details on PECL. An increasingly large number of PHP extensions are found in PECL, and these extensions require a separate download.

Note: If you are running a server module version of PHP remember to restart your web server to reflect your changes to php.ini.

Comment

Working...
                  X