Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Magento connect not working Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magento connect not working

Hi all,

Have anybody installed Magento and made magento connect work?, I used the 1-click instalation and Magento is not getting the updates when using the Magento connect option, I get a bunch of erros and looks like is something related to the VAR folder permisions.

By the way the 1-click instalation Magento version is quite outdated, Magento is now on 1.16 and the 1-clik one is 1.0.x.

Re: Magento connect not working

Tecnotopia,
    I am investigating the problem.
    Thanks

Comment

it appears that magento is trying to send output to the browser before the session_start, which is a no no..

Will investigate further.

Comment

A solution to this is to change line 459 of the file System.php in this directory:

/downloader/pearlib/php/System.php

it says

return realpath('/tmp');

change it to

return realpath('/var/www/domains/YOUR DOMAIN/tmp');

Comment

I have been working on this same issue for a long time. Have tried everything, including the change to the system.php file and the access setings on the downloarder folder. I still get this:
          Error: Please check for sufficient write file permissions
          Your Magento folder does not have sufficient write permissions, which this web based downloader requires.
          If I understand this correctly, the access settings need to be configured on my root linux account folder. Could the team confirm this, please?

Comment

Hi,
            Has anyone been able to fix this. I've the same issue.
            Magento Connect Manager doesn't work.

I've pretty much tried everything. Any help with this .. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
            Your Magento folder does not have sufficient write permissions, which this web based downloader requires.

If you wish to proceed downloading Magento packages online, please set all Magento folders to have writable permission for the web server user (example: apache) and press the "Refresh" button to try again.

Comment

I haven't tried what you are doing, but I've been working with Magento for a while and it pretty much comes down to them wanting $500 to resolve any problem that somebody in the community can't fix for you. I'm having a problem with checkout when I get to the shipping section, I'm getting warnings that it can't find a directory, etc. I've contacted myhosting who said it was a magento problem (which I can understand). I went to a magento "consultant" who suggested I reinstall...which I did and had no affect. So I contact Magento and they were very indignant when I suggested they may have a bug in their software. They suggested that I buy support for $500 to resolve the problem.

I can't justify paying that for something I think should work out of the box....it's not like I'm doing anything custom. I just filled in the blanks and started testing.

Good luck. I think I'm going somewhere else. Scott

Comment

If you are experiencing the following error

If you wish to proceed downloading Magento packages online, please set all Magento folders to have writable permission for the web server user (example: apache) and press the "Refresh" button to try again.
                You will need to change the file permissions for the following folders, subfolders, and files:
                magento/app/etc
                magento/app/code
                magento/var
                magento/media

An appropriate file permission would be 777 (rwxrwxrwx).

This error occurs when Magento Connect does not have permissions to modify and update files in your Magento installation. It is recommended that you use an FTP client to recursively set file permissions (CHMOD) in your Magento folder.

Comment

I have same problem on nike-dunks-sb.com anyone can help, thanks.
                  Last edited by suwunk; 2010-09-14, 02:26 PM. Reason: remove live link

Comment

Check this from downloader\Maged\Controller.php:

if (is_null($this->_writable)) {
                    $this->_writable = is_writable($this->getMageDir())
                    && is_writable($this->filepath())
                    && (!file_exists($this->filepath('config.ini') || is_writable($this->filepath('config.ini'))))
                    && (!file_exists($this->filepath('pearlib/config.ini') || is_writable($this->filepath('pearlib/pear.ini'))))
                    && is_writable($this->filepath('pearlib/php'));

Worked for me.

Comment

I'm having similar problems. I don't have the read/write problem (I did solve that), but I'm not showing any upgrades I can install when I get to "Check for upgrades", the button goes away, but nothing shows up. I've followed everything in this thread without any luck. Any ideas?

Comment

chmod 777 all

Hi there,

I have tried changing the folders permissions of app/etc/, var, media, app/code, .htaccess to 777, but that didn't resolve this problem. Then I changed the permissions to all folders in my magento folder to 777, recursively to include all subfolders and files to 777 from my FTP manager. Then i was able to open magento connect and install spanish language extension without any problem.
                        The only thing I don't know whether a setting like this is not a security risk for the system. If anyone can give an opinion on that it will be useful.

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dakini View Post
                          Hi there,

I have tried changing the folders permissions of app/etc/, var, media, app/code, .htaccess to 777, but that didn't resolve this problem. Then I changed the permissions to all folders in my magento folder to 777, recursively to include all subfolders and files to 777 from my FTP manager. Then i was able to open magento connect and install spanish language extension without any problem.
                          The only thing I don't know whether a setting like this is not a security risk for the system. If anyone can give an opinion on that it will be useful.

Many thanks
                          Hey Dakini. Allowing anyone to write to your directories is always a security concern. I'll look into what directory permissions are advisable for Magento, and get back to you.

Cheers,
                          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by dakini View Post
                            Hi there,

Many thanks
                            After poking around for a bit, I've found 2 URLs that should be quite helpful:

Resetting File Permissions article by Magento.

Discussion of directory permissions, with several similar recommendations.

Comment

Hi nickh,
                              Thanks for your reply. I'll check this sites for setting the right permissions. I hope magento connect will work with that, other wise will be quite annoying having to change them every time i need an extension or update.
                              but thanks for your help any way. security is always an issue that i try to be careful with and no very little about.

Comment

Working...
                              X