Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
myHosting and Joomla Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• myHosting and Joomla

Hi,

About a year ago I signed up my organization for a pbaisc package to host a Joomla site, since they advertise "At myhosting.com we have extensive experience both hosting and managing Joomla! based websites, and our easy installer will have you up and running in no time! " - Joomla! | myhosting.com

My expereince has so far been a mixed bag - I do get support in a reasonable timeframe (based on the amount I've paid) but having to expalin to support about what file ownership (and not being able to change it), having to more or less making every file/folder's permission 777 is perhaps not what I'd expect from a company that claims "extensive experience"

The last item that prompted me to write this post was an attempt to upgrade my site to the latest version (Joomla 1.5.15). It's didn't go well. :-( After three days of struggling with limited tools and slow support I was able to get back into a somewhat controlled state.

I do realize that I've been learning as I go with Joomla, but I use to work for a large IT organization on the other end and I never pushed back on someone who called/emailed for help. Yes, Joomla is a third party application that each support agent isn't going to have a complete depth in, but each agent should be able to know who the Joomla/Unix expert is and be able to transfer cases their way.

So, what have others been experiencing with myhosting and Joomla? My renewal is coming up and your feedback will help me make a couple of decisions.

regards,
    Edmond

Thanks for the post. I'm currently trying to decide to switch to Joomla or Drupal, and the support lady was quite helpful at first, but as I asked a bit more, she just stopped answering (in the chat window). Not really what you expect from support staff. I mean, if she doesn't know, ok, say so, it's fine. Or if she thinks that my questions are too much to ask, ok, please tell me. But just no answer and letting the customer sit there and wait... made me look for alternatives.

Comment

Joomla posting

I've been trying to get my Joomla 1.5 site up and running for a week now. Granted, I'm a newbie at Joomla. But I've used myhosting for the past 10 years, and it doesn't appear to be what it was even four years ago. Myhosting used to be simple to use, and help was easy to access. Now, there are no clear, basic instructions -- everything is on a wiki (go fish!), and much of it is out of date or of little help. I even had trouble finding their login page -- and after that, where to upload my files! Now I'm trying to figure out how to unzip my site on file manager. If I were you, I'd go elsewhere. I'm giving myself a few more days. Tell me where you've gone, and I may just join you.

Comment

Hi Stanharrison,

We are sharing and learning here, Please state your Joomla site problem?
        I even had trouble finding their login page
        do you mean your joomla login/admin page? If you want to go to your joomla admin/login page, just simply type in your websites URL, followed by /administrator

Regards

Comment

Joomla directory path? How install items via ftp/directory?

Greetings all,

I'm having problems finding how to upload content into the Joomla directory via ftp.

I cannot find a path that will work for FTP?
          When logged on I open the `siteapps' folder and it is empty.

As far as I knew, the path to try was this:
          usr/local/pem/vhosts/107139/webspace/siteapps/4384/htdocs/tmp

Hopefully somebody out ther can help, and of course I'll keep trying and post any findings.

Cheers!

Comment

Hi crom,

You`ll need to manually type that location as the numbered folder is hidden by default.
            http://myhosting.com/kb/Accessing_th...tion_Directory

Cheers

Comment

Fantastic - install path solution

Thanks so much, the link you posted explains perfectly and everything is working for me. I'm so very happy to have this solved.

Many thanks for the asssistance.

Take care

Comment

I'm glad your problem was solved, please let me know if you have any other problem

Comment

Working...
                X