Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
FTP does not FTP Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP does not FTP

Since migrating my accounts from classic to cloud on the 8th of May my websites do not allow anyone to download a file without entering a Username and Password.

How do I turn that off? Is it possible? I have not seen any settings in the control panel to influence this one way or the other. And when I enter a username and password I get an error message or nothing happens.

I want anyone who clicks on an ftp link to start the download process without having to enter anything, like they do at all other websites across the Internet.

I can upload to my sites, but no one can download. Any ideas? Support is either unable or unwilling to help. Help please.

Hi Suwunk,

Yes, please do. I rely on ftp to sell my software.

This is not the first time this has happened though. In August I had the same problem on my classic account. After 10 years the FTP stopped downloading, and only after support gave me the run around did they get it fix.

That was after a 7 day loss of business. I am now looking at 14 days with no ftp and no help from support. And as my customers run to the competition I am thinking about doing the same.

How hard can it be to fix a problem like this?

Comment

FTP does not FTP

Thanks for the link. I took a quick look at it but it does not help. I tried switching out the company name in the ftp statement to the dedicated address I have from them, but that did no good at all. So my websites are dead in the water until MyHosting decides to do something about it.

Comment

That did it. Thank you very much. Now I just have to change all the links from ftp to like you showed me.

The reason I wanted FTP is because I always had it. And I have links out all over the Internet pointing back to my site. But if this works then no problem, outside the work of changing everything.

Sure wish support had given me that tip when I contacted them.

Thanks again. Now I have something to do tonight!

Comment

Hi Stoner,

Based on this tutorial i think anonymous FTP access only available with a dedicated IP address assigned to your domain, but i`ll forward your problem to myhosting staff to get some brief information about this.

Cheers
          Last edited by suwunk; 2011-05-16, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Tim is right. downloading via a link on a site would be much easier for people to use than FTP

Comment

Originally posted by stoner View Post
              my websites do not allow anyone to download a file without entering a Username and Password.

How do I turn that off? Is it possible? I have not seen any settings in the control panel to influence this one way or the other. And when I enter a username and password I get an error message or nothing happens.
              Why do you need to use FTP to allow users to download a file? If you want to make a file available to any visitor on your site, you can use any normal link, like:

HTML Code:
              <a href="/directory/filename.zip">Click Here</a>
              A customer clicking on the link will be prompted to download the file.

If you want to password protect some file downloads, you could use .htaccess/.htpasswd (on Linux Shared Hosting) or ASP.NET Forms Authentication (on Windows Shared Hosting).

Comment

You're welcome!

Comment

Working...
                X