Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Domain going to subfolder can't see CSS files Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain going to subfolder can't see CSS files

I have an "ecommerce" shared hosting account and my site is setup for Windows.

My setup has folders something like this:

wwwroot
    css
    graphics
    folder1

My primary website is at the root and has its own domain ie. www.primarydomain.com

I have another domain that I want to use to take users directly to the part of the site they need and it is directed to wwwroot/folder1 where there is a default.htm that is displayed. Let's call that domain www.seconddomain.com At the moment, none of the images appear and the css isn't being used. The links are in the form "../css/standard.css" or "../images/image1.jpg".

I assume that they don't work since the www.seconddomain.com points directly to the folder & I assume is unable to "see" the folders that are at the same hierarchy level.

Is there any way around this? I really don't want to duplicate CSS files and image files under folder1 and I'm not too thrilled with the idea of editing all the links in the files under folder1 to hardcode www.primarydomain.com into each and every one. I created & maintain the site using ExpressionWeb and much of this code is in my Dynamic Web Template - to change just this section of the site would require using a separate template for that area and negates a lot of the advantages of using it in the first place (primarily only having to make changes to 1 file to update the whole site.) There is also the problem that most of the pages www.seconddomain.com/default.htm uses are ALSO used by the main site at www.primarydomain.com, so whatever solution I come up with can't break the pages when reached that way.

Is it time for me to delve into the mysteries of web.config? Is it possible to use that to redirect any calls to seconddomain.com for *.css or *.jpg to be redirected to the correct location? I'll take the time to research and learn about it if it will solve the problem, but I sure don't want to make that effort just to find out it won't do what I need. Any other ideas out there?

I suspect this is a result of using virtual directories. You definitely won't be able to access files that are outside of the document root for the application.

I'm not sure there's anyway around a change of some sort along the lines you've suggested. Generally separate domains / sites have to be treated separately.

Comment

I've tested out Jeremy's theory and have confirmed.

I have the following directory structure:

Code:
      wwwroot
         |- folder
                |- root
      I've placed photo.jpg in /wwwroot, and index.html in /wwroot/folder/root which calls "../../photo.jpg"

DomainA.com has it's root set as /wwwroot
      DomainB.com has it's root set as /wwwroot/folder/root

When you open DomainA.com/folder/root/index.html in a browser everything displays fine.
      When you open DomainB.com/index.html (same file) in a browser, the image does not display.

So if you want to call files or images below the root of DomainB.com, you'll need to call them via DomainA.com.

Here's an idea though...

Code:
      wwwroot (root for Domain1.com)
         |- folder2 (root for Domain2.com)
                 |- folder3 (root for Domain3.com)
                        |- images
      If you place your files within /wwwroot/folder2/folder3/images, Domain1.com, Domain2.com and Domain3.com will all be able to access them.

Comment

Working...
      X