Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Email and VPS Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email and VPS

I have gotten several different answers from support on this issue. Before I signed up I chatted with an online agent and asked about the email service as I didn't notice anything mentioned in the VPS feature list. I was told that the email works just like a standard web hosting account.

After signing up and playing around I went to look for the email features of the controlpanel to find none. I sent an email to support and was told that I have to pay $4.99 per month per domain for 50 pop3 accounts...

Well thats not what I was told before I signed up... None the less I can not find an option anywhere within the control panel addons to even add this feature.

It would be nice to get some documentation on the wiki on the various options we have available to us and on how to set them up.

I must be honest, the $4.99 per month per domain does not appeal to me, I am paying for a premium service and get worse email support compared to the regular $10 a month packages.

I am not really interested in trying to run my own pop3 server on the VPS, however is this the way to go?

Virtual Servers and Email

I apologize if you received conflicting information about this. I will try to clarify this for you. The server plans that we are offering do not include an email service but you can set up email on your server. Most virtual server offers do not include a mail service by default.

If you decide that you would like to setup your own mail server you would need to make sure that your SMTP server is set to smtp.vps.myhosting.com. It's not possible to setup your own SMTP server on your domain (ex: smtp.mydomain.com). The smtp.vps.myhosting.com domain does not require authentication and can only be used by our virtual server customers.

There is an option to have your virtual server domains use our regular email hosting and this is what was previously suggested. We have other customers that are using this solution as they don't want to setup or manage a mail server on their virtual server. This solution cost $4.45 per month for 50 POP3/IMAP users however if you choose a yearly billing term the price would drop to $3.70 per month. You can choose to pay for the email hosting on a yearly term and the virtual server can remain on a monthly billing cycle.

Another option is that we can install a mail server for you but this would require our professional services where a server administrator will set this up for you. We charge $50 per hour for our professional services. If you would like for one of our administrators to setup a mail server for you please contact me at accountmanager@myhosting.com and let me know. I will make sure that the request is handled immediately.

If you have any questions please let me know, I'll be happy to help.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Daryl Brown
    Key Accounts Manager
    SoftCom Inc.
    10 Bay St. Suite 1610
    Toronto, ON, M5J 2R8, Canada
    P: (866) 289-5091 | F: (416) 957-7401 | accountmanager@myhosting.com
    mail2web.com - Pick Up Your Email | Website Hosting & Domain Hosting | myhosting.com | SoftCom Technology Consulting Inc.
    Last edited by tima; 2011-10-04, 01:44 PM. Reason: address update

Comment

One basic email package does come with the VPS plan.

This is the response I received from support:

An Email Hosting Plan is included with your VS account. Please visit myhosting.com - From personal to business Email Hosting, we have it all for more information on the Email Hosting Plan. If this option is selected, we can assist with the creation of the plan but you will first need to add a domain to your VS account before the domain can be configured and used with the Email Hosting Plan. This option is included with your VS account and is free of charge.

The other option they said was to install and configure our own SMTP server.

Comment

I am not sure how this works with yout provider. earlier I had somewhat similar issue with my provider. They suggested that they can install mail serveice on my virtual server at a setup cost billed hourly.

I decided to switch host and went with apps4rent. While signingup the sales guy told me to select mailing application which I did and they installed it without any additional charges. The price is quite affordable.
        Last edited by suwunk; 2010-10-27, 12:33 AM. Reason: Remove live link

Comment

Is the mailing application usually free when you sign up with a hosting service? This sounds like a good deal to me.

Comment

Working...
          X