Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Virtual Servers VS Cloud Computing Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Servers VS Cloud Computing

What's the difference between Virtual Servers and Clouds?

Hmm, it's a though question. I guess cloud computing is the general name for 'remote computing'... Wikipedia defines cloud computing as "a computing capability that provides an abstraction between the computing resource and its underlying technical architecture (e.g., servers, storage, networks), enabling convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction."

However virtual servers are using virtual machines. Virtual machines are the duplicates of real machines. They are designed to complete a single process. They are suitable for hosting processes...

That's the all information I've got. But i'm curious on details!

Comment

Virtual servers are computers that run inside of other computers. There are two common use-cases for virtual servers:
      1. Personal Computing

If you need to run multiple operating systems (OSs), it's often convenient to choose one primary OS, and have your alternative OSs run inside of the primary one.

For example, I have a laptop that runs GNU/Linux. When I need to run a Windows program, I open VMware Workstation and boot up a copy of Windows XP. Suddenly, I'm running Windows within GNU/Linux.

2. Business Computing

Say you need separate database, web, file, and Jabber servers. Rather than dedicating an entire computer to each of those services, you can set-up one physical (IE: real) server, and configure it to run multiple computers inside of it.

Each of those computers that runs inside of the physical server is called a "virtual server" or "virtual machine".

Creating this type of virtual environment has all sorts of benefits, including being very cost-effective, making server deployment and management much easier in large computing environments, etc.

More info on virtual servers can be found on Wikipedia:
      Virtual private server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Virtual machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

A "cloud", as in "cloud computing", refers to a cluster/farm/etc of servers on which virtual servers run.

These clouds are usually massive, and allow users to start and stop virtual servers on the fly. This can be quite convenient when additional computing power is needed sporadically.

The most popular cloud computing platform is Amazon's EC2.

As usual, Wikipedia has a good article on cloud computing.

Comment

Cloud computing refers to a collaborative group of servers that share the same pool of resources and distribute workloads. A VS on the other hand, is simply a virtual environment of a dedicated server. Both are entirely different. Cloud computing refers to a method used to distribute workloads; a virtual server is a virtual duplicate of a dedi.

Comment

Different definitions of cloud computing make it confusing. The general cloud concept is of a system that is highly scalable and not dependent on one physical server, so it's redundant from hardware failure.

A VPS will be a virtualised 'slice' of a physical server. It will act much like it was its own server, with allocated RAM, Disk and CPU. However if that physical server fails, then all the virtual servers on it will be offline until it's repaired.

You can find virtual servers on cloud platforms.

-----------------
            Vimax
            Last edited by suwunk; 2010-10-09, 01:31 PM. Reason: Remove adv live link

Comment

I was wondering about this as well when I was exploring the site and had a message pop up asking me what type of server I was involved with. Which would be better for someone who is interested in setting up a few small sites for personal and marketing purposes? These would be completely owned and operated by me and no one else.

Comment

Is Cloud generally considered to be the way to go now then? I'm still not clear on the issue and just wonder if it's something that I should be sure to look out for whenever I browse through my hosting options.

Comment

From a Cloud

I'd say that cloud computing includes a more robust suite of capabilities. But you'll probably only need to look into it if you have a larger company that requires a great deal of server activity.

Comment

Still confused...

Your definitions and explanations are all well and fine, but how would you explain the difference between cloud computing and virtualisation to a NON-IT person / the local village idiot who knows nothing about complex matters such as this? Please dumb it down more.

Comment

This explanation above was pretty clear:

"Say you need separate database, web, file, and Jabber servers. Rather than dedicating an entire computer to each of those services, you can set-up one physical (IE: real) server, and configure it to run multiple computers inside of it.

Each of those computers that runs inside of the physical server is called a "virtual server" or "virtual machine".

Creating this type of virtual environment has all sorts of benefits, including being very cost-effective, making server deployment and management much easier in large computing environments, etc."

Comment

also confused

I also get confused by all of these technical terms. For instance, I've heard the term "scalable," but I'm still not sure what it means or what it refers to.

Comment

All I can say is that the more I use cloud computing, the harder it is for me to imagine life without it.

Comment

Cloud Computing Video Explanation

Hey All,

This video on
                            youtube.com/watch?v=ae_DKNwK_ms
                            Cloud computing from Salesforce might help explain in more laymans terms what its all about. I always find videos easier than text explanations.

Hope this helps!
                            Last edited by suwunk; 2010-10-09, 01:30 PM. Reason: remove adv link

Comment

Hope this picture help

Virtual Server
                              http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/a...alserver-2.jpg

Cloud computing
                              http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...puting.svg.png

Comment

Working...
                              X