Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Changing Hostname withn VPS Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Hostname withn VPS

Has anyone been able to configure their debian VPS so that /etc/hostname contains simply a hostname and not a fully qualified domain name?

I sent a request to support to have this done. In the process killed my server and lost my data. While I've been struggling since yesterday to find someone in support to help me get my "new" server back up, I wonder if once it's up, they'll actually be able to change the hostname for me?

Oh, frustrating!

Hi Xquercus,

I`ll submit your problem to myhosting staff ASAP, You can also contact virtual-server@myhosting.com for faster assistance.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for your reply and offering to open a support request. I finally resolved the issue. Unfortunately, myhosting.com wasn't able to restore my VPS after they borked it up and it was a monumental 3 day process to complete my support request. Earlier this evening they got the new VPS up with the hostname properly configured. I'm in the process of reinstalling all of my application software.

The whole customer support process was horrible. Being abused and ignored by customer service while my system is down is just no fun. Fortunately I finally got hold of Mod, a customer support manager, who worked the issue through to the end. It's resolved satisfactorily at this point.

Thanks!

Comment

Just to clarify for anyone having the same question regarding /etc/hostname, myhosting.com did configure the virtuozzo VPS software so that /etc/hostname contains simply the name of the host and not the fully qualified domain name. I have a number of scripts which rely on /etc/hostname actually returning the hostname -- not the FQDN -- and this ultimately was possible.

Comment

Working...
        X