Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
URL address for site being built Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URL address for site being built

I've got a VPS and am setting up some accounts.

Assuming my VPS IP addresss is 168.144.xx.xx and the new account is mysite.com (but does not have DNS) how can I reach it through my browser?

(I'm using kickstart to move a joomla site to the new server, and need to get to the kickstart.php file via the browser. At least, this is my understanding).

Obviously I can't point the domain name to the new server until there's a site to see!

Thanks.

PS:

http://168.144.xx.xx/mysite.com does not work!

Comment

Name Servers for Virtual Servers

If you are transferring the domain name you plan on using with your virtual server account to our name servers you would need to list the following records.

Primary Name Server: NS11.MYHOSTING.COM

Primary IP Address: 168.144.1.228

Secondary Name Server: NS12.MYHOSTING.COM

Secondary IP Address: 168.144.68.3

Please note that if you add these name servers to your domain you will need to contact support at support@myhosting.com to request that we add a DNS for your domain onto the above name servers. Make sure that when you make your request that you include your domain name.
      http://myhosting.com/wiki/Name_Serve...Virtual_Server
      http://myhosting.com/kb/Modifying_DNS_Records
      myhosting Customer Support team will be happy to help you with this. You can contact them at support@myhosting.com, or by phone at 1-866-289-5091

Cheers
      Last edited by suwunk; 2011-03-21, 09:48 PM.

Comment

clarify

Hi, thanks for the answer but the problem is this:

I have an active site on another server. I am copying it to the new server.

I can't point the domain to the new server until the site is successfully copied to its new home.

To complete the copying process, I need to enter the URL of the file in my browser so that I can execute a file I've uploaded to the root directory.

So... anyone know how to get the URL? (see my original post).

Thanks!

Comment

Have you tried to follow this tutorial?;

1. Download the JoomlaPack component. Make sure you get the latest release, which at the time of this newletter is 2.2
          2. Download the Kickstart app, again making sure you ge the latest release, 2.2Stable - unzip the package for later use.
          3. In the administration area of your local Joomla site, go to Extensions >> Install / Uninstall and upload the JoomlaPack component file: com_joomlapack-2.2-free.zip
          4. In the administration area of your local Joomla site, go to Components >> JoomlaPack >> Configuration and we're going to change a setting before we backup and migrate. Click on the 'Advanced' tab and then locate the 'Archiver engine' and change it to 'JPA JoomlaPack Archive, and click Save.
          5. Click on the Backup Now button (you'll notice a warning regarding the default directory being used for the backup - we can ignore this *for now) and then the 'Backup Now!' You should see the backup process begin, and be given a success page when completed.
          6. Locate the backup file in your localhost joomla_root/administrator/components/com_joomlapack/backup - the backup file will have the extension .jpa. Upload this file to the directory on your live server where you will do the restore. For most this will be the root directory, /html or /home etc
          7. Upload the Kickstart app file to this same directory. You should have unzipped the package in an earlier step, if not, unzip and then upload the file.
          8. Create a new database using phpMyAdmin or the tool provided by your host to do so. This new database will be used for our restore to populate with our backed up data. Make note of the hostname, username/password and database name for further steps.
          9. Navigate in your browser to http://backup_directory/kickstart.php (where backup_directory is the directory your backup file is located). Insert your Host, Username, and Password information and click on the green Start button. You will see the process beign - do not close this browser window!
          10. Once the file extraction is done you will see a message to 'Please click here to open JoomlaPack Installer restore script in a new window'. Click there.
          11. A new window will open, and you will see a typical looking Joomla installation page, however this is the restore script. Go through the installation process, making sure you put your new information for hostname, username, password and database in Step 4.
          12. After successful Joomla installation (restore in our case) go back to the other browser window and click on the link to restore your .htaccess file if you need to do this step, and close the browser window when done.
          13. The restoration process should now be completed, and you can log in to your newly moved site at /administrator to continue development on the live server.

Comment

localhost

that sounds like a good solution EXCEPT I've spent the lst two day trying to set up XAMPP then WAMP on two of my computers.

I've been unsuccessful in getting localhost to work.

There appears to be an issue with Windows 7/64 even when XAMPP is installed on its own drive (which I created for this purpose).

I've been through the configuration.php files trying all kinds of "fixes" but no luck.

So the localhost solution isn't working (yet) which means I can't use your idea (yet!).

Would it be possible for me to create an "empty" joomla site on the new server, then overwrite the files (same with the db?)

Comment

You can use Akeeba backup for Moving a Joomla site to another server

Backup
              Use the Akeeba Back up.
              http://extensions.joomla.org/extensi...ty/backup/1606
              backup your site and save it to local PC. (jpa file)

Restore
              Copy the kickstart.php file to the root of your hosting server /public_html
              upload via Filezilla FTP (Binary mode) Akeeba back up file to the /public_html

Database Prep
              Using the CPanel on the hosting server, create a new Database: yourdomain_mydbase
              username: username
              Password: password

Restore
              initiate the kickstart.php by navigating to my http://www.yourdomain.com/kickstart.php

Complete tutorials:
              Akeeba Backup Quick Start Guide
              Last edited by suwunk; 2011-03-22, 02:03 AM.

Comment

url

thank you for this reply.

Yes, I'm using Akeeba. I have the .jpa file on my PC and its uploaded to the new server.

Unfortunately, as my original thread stated, the problem with this approach is that (to my knowledge) I do not have a URL to go to.

All I need is the URL to my kickstart.php file. Or some other solution.

Thanks!

Comment

If you have a domain name and a VPS/hosting, You can point your domain to your VPS/hosting using nameserver.
                  If your domain is not propagated yet, You can use your VPS/hosting IP (given by your hosting company)

Example;
                  Upload .jpa file directly to your VPS/hosting IP using FTP software
                  168.144.xx.xx
                  Copy the kickstart.php file and Akeeba back up file to to the root of your hosting server /public_html

Then initiate the kickstart.php by navigating to http://168.144.xx.xx/kickstart.php

Comment

Working...
                  X