Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Nameserver records for VPS Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nameserver records for VPS

Hi everybody, I just bought a VPS and already migrated one of my hosted websites using the cpanel import feature and it went seamless.

The problem is that when I setup the nameservers at name.com they cannot resolve to a domain, I already checked wikis, blogs, etc about the proper NS for websites hosted in my VPS and no luck using ns1.myhosting.com, ns2.myhosting.com, ns11.myhosting.com, ns12.myhosting.com

The thing is that I read somewhere that I need to email them to add my domain name to above nameservers for it to work.

My question is: do I need to email them for each of my 90 domains currently hosted at the other server?? With my current hosting provider, I just add the domain name in cpanel and enter my custom ns records in name.com and voila, its done!!

Is it really a manual process each and every time? or is it a one time only process??

What is making me worry is the fact that my current VPS provider (Servint) replies to service tickets in a matter of minutes, and myhosting sometimes takes half a day or more!! Please advise, is this the way myhosting.com works? Should I stay with my current VPS provider even though is more expensive? Thanks!!

Hi There,

I`ll submit your problem to myhosting staff, i hope they can help you ASAP

Cheers

Comment

Hi adavila78,

To advise, our cpanel vps servers are standalone systems and DNS is not integrated. You can either use DNS setup on the VPS itself and point your nameservers to your VPS, or you can add your domains into our onCloud control panel which will provide DNS however you will need to modify the DNS manually there.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremya View Post
        Hi adavila78,

To advise, our cpanel vps servers are standalone systems and DNS is not integrated. You can either use DNS setup on the VPS itself and point your nameservers to your VPS, or you can add your domains into our onCloud control panel which will provide DNS however you will need to modify the DNS manually there.
        Is it possible to provide the pros/cons of each?

http://www.imgsnatch.com/img/n/9.jpg

Comment

Hi Greenmatter,

DNS on VPS pros:
          -Simplified solution so management of DNS occurs only from within cPanel and propagates everywhere.
          DNS on VPS cons:
          -Running Bind or any other DNS solution will use resources, so it does place additional load on your VPS to do this.
          -Some registrars require verified nameservers. In this scenario, this simplest workaround is to use a combination of both DNS on VPS and DNS in myhosting.com. What you would do is direct your nameservers to myhosting.com DNS, but in your DNS, specify a second set of NS records for all subdomains. This way changes you make in cpanel will reflect.

DNS on myhosting.com DNS pros:
          -Registered nameservers, compatible with all registrars.
          DNS on myhosting.com DNS cons:
          -Requires DNS be modified in myhosting.com onCloud Control Panel to match what configuration in cPanel specifies.

Comment

Thanks Jeremya!

http://www.imgsnatch.com/img/n/9.jpg

Comment

DNS on myhosting.com DNS cons:
              -Requires DNS be modified in myhosting.com onCloud Control Panel to match what configuration in cPanel specifies.
              This is where I am currently stuck, and rather than assume I've done a step correctly I'd rather someone with experience give a proper solution. Can a step by step walkthrough be posted here for DNS setup on VPS?
              Including Both:
              -steps in myhosting.com onCloud Panel
              -steps in cPanel

Comment

Kinda sad that I'm having to read FAQ files on other company websites... But... is this correct?
                The nameservers must always belong to a domain that is hosted on the VPS. Therefore if all my domains are currently at an external registrar then my only solution is to email support and have them add my primary domain to the MyHosting DNS manually, before I can even use my primary domain as a private DNS in cPanel?

Comment

Hi Derek,

So with the two options previously mentioned, I've created a wiki to assist you through either option.

http://myhosting.com/kb/Managing_DNS_on_cPanel_WHM_VPS

Hope that helps clarify things! Keep in mind, the reason this particular item is a bit confusing perhaps is that a cPanel VPS is essentially a standalone service. There is no integration myhosting.com onCloud for cPanel/WHM. Integration is limited to VPS container modifications and cPanel/WHM is simply installed on top of that as if you did it yourself.

We do of course handle all of the licensing and the original install

Comment

Hi Derek,

So with the two options previously mentioned, I've created a wiki to assist you through either option.

http://myhosting.com/kb/Managing_DNS_on_cPanel_WHM_VPS

Hope that helps clarify things! Keep in mind, the reason this particular item is a bit confusing perhaps is that a cPanel VPS is essentially a standalone service. There is no integration myhosting.com onCloud for cPanel/WHM. Integration is limited to VPS container modifications and cPanel/WHM is simply installed on top of that as if you did it yourself.

We do of course handle all of the licensing and the original install
                    Thank you Jeremya.

Comment

Thank you Jeremya. This is the dumbies version I created for myself.

-To add a domain to VPS hosting, first: login, click [all domains]
                      -click [+add domain registered elsewhere], enter domain name
                      -click domain name from main list
                      -click [edit], check [zone management ability], click [submit]
                      -click [edit], select [DNS tab], select [DNS Records sub-tab]
                      -click [+Add New DNS Record], select ‘A Record’, click [Next]
                      -add your IP address, do 2 seperate 'A Record' entries, example, one domain with and without "www." in front

Derek

Comment

great! i'm glad it made enough sense though! In my attempts to offer a solution for as many variations i suppose it was overcomplicated...

Comment

Working...
                        X