Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Zimbra Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zimbra

Greetings. Anyone here running Zimbra on their VPS?

I've installed it and while it seems to run, it does tend to max out my resources. I've upped the RAM to 4G, I am not sure just how much of an improvement it would be to up the CPU cycles allocated. Zimbra is a resource hog and my concern is that my users will get frustrated after they log in, with the performance of the web front end.

I am seeing load averages of 5.15 4.47 4.78 and higher, and this is without any users being logged in!

Anyone reckon it's even worthwhile to offer this resource hungry Java product on a VPS?

Certainly, I'd be happy to, although I'd rather give you that info more securely than in a Forum post! Best way of doing that?

Comment

Could you provide a subscription ID so we could take a look?

Comment

Appreciate the effort to PM me, but I cannot respond! Not enough privs, evidently. ;-)

Don't worry about it, I'll probably be looking at a dedicated server for this task anyway. It's just too much I/O for a VPS and although certain people appear to have better VPS luck with Xen and Zimbra, it does seem like it's one collaboration suite that needs dedicated hardware.

Comment

you should have enough privileges, could you try again? Perhaps you were logged out?

Comment

Was thinking about Zimbra, really like the diverse extensions development…could you post here what you decide to do, thanks!

http://www.imgsnatch.com/img/n/9.jpg

Comment

What trouble did you have with the reinstall? Plesk is purely optional with our custom VPS offerings and we also have plans like Developer VPS that also come clean and without Plesk and cPanel. Plesk and cPanel would certainly have added to the load on your VPS...

Comment

Sorry to say running Zimbra on a myhosting.com VPS is not really practical - at least not unless one really "ups" the specs of the VPS. I tried a much less resource intensive postfix/dovecot/roundcube/LDAP/MySQL setup. This worked adequately but is hardly a full blown Zimbra replacement!

I've also been less than impressed with the way myhosting routes email traffic, in and out over their own SMTP servers. One of the points of me trying to move from an in house server to a VPS was to also maintain some semblance of privacy and control and because one still ends up having to use myhosting.com's SMTP relays, that negates my intent.

Suffice to say I have started an account with linode.com and so far their servers seem snappier and (thank whatever deity you want) there is no Plesk or similar excrement to get in the way of try to get a clean OS re-install! Yes, linode are not as cheap as myhosting but I'd rather pay more and having complete control than be forced into a box by a VPS hosting company.

Thanks myhosting, you might work out for some people, but it was a failed experiment for me!

Comment

Working...
                X