Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Alternate SMTP Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate SMTP

My ISP is blocking port 25. Is there an alternate host/port that I can use?

For example, when I was on shared hosting, I could use "alternativesmtp.myhosting.com" on port 587.

I'm on Plesk VPS for Business.

Thanks,
    Shane.

I believe this article may be helpful: KB Parallels: Can I use an additional port other than port 25 for SMTP connections? I was told I should open up one more ports for SMTP because most ISPs block port 25 now.

I assume you're on CentOS with Plesk running Postfix mail server?

Comment

I also found a firewall rule method which may be better since it would be unaffected by future upgrades: HOWTO: using alternative port for SMTP and PLESK - Parallels Forums

I haven't test this but it's fairly easy to reset your firewall rules if something goes wrong from Virtuozzo power panel. So it's a safer bet. But as always, MAKE A BACKUP!!! I'm thinking about adding that slogan to my signature

Comment

Alternate SMTP

I'm on CentOS. Postfix is the default, so I'm assuming that I'm using that (but I'm not sure how to check). I will try adding an additional port to Postfix.

Thanks for the quick response.

Shane.

Comment

Alternate SMTP

I stumbled across this completely by accident...

I turns out that there is an option that already exists in Plesk to specify an alternate SMTP port. You just need to navigate to Server > Settings > Mail Server Settings and click "Enable message submission". You can then just change the SMTP port to 587.

So much easier.

Shane.

Comment

Oh excellent, did it work for you as well without firewall modification?

Comment

Jeremya,

The help file says to add an exception to the Plesk firewall, but it works without adding an exception.

Shane.

Comment

Working...
              X