Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

myhosting.com Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the myhosting.com Forums! The purpose of this forum is to allow you to discuss topics relating to hosting and topics of interest with other myhosting.com Customers. The primary focus should relate to issues not generally included in our Wiki or Control Panel, or information not provided by our Customer Support Team. Some examples include programming and coding support, web site design ideas and SEO practices.

The forum is not meant as a replacement to our Wiki or Customer Support. We highly recommend searching our Wiki before posting on the forum. Also, if you have a question for our Customer Support team, please contact them as you would normally.

We ask that if you have any complaints or questions relating specifically to your account, that you address them to our Customer Support department. Do not post personal account information such as passwords or other sensitive and private information the forum, as this type of information is best kept secret. Also, please be respectful of other users and refrain from defamatory comments or use of coarse language.

We will visit the forum from time to time, and contribute to various topics. We reserve the right to delete any posts which are deemed offensive or against the spirit of the forum. Any spamming or illegal activity will not be tolerated. We also reserve the right to block any user who violates these guidelines.

To get started, we welcome you to sign up at our User Management site. Any account created there will have access to these forums, our Wiki, our Ideas site and commenting permission on our Status Blog.
See more
See less
Downtime problem Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downtime problem

Hi all

I use the pingdom monitoring service. The uptime on my Debian 5 VPS used to be very good but then it looks like something went wrong on September 21 because since then my two websites have had constant interruptions - downtimes of 5, 10 and 15 minutes almost every day - 27 days out of 30 in October so far - and sometimes 4 or 5 times per day. There is no reason for this such as traffic spikes, scheduled back ups etc. I believe that the pingdom alerts are generally accurate ie not false positives.

I submitted a ticket about it but the reply was very unhelpful saying only that according to the 'uptime' command the VPS was up. But of course there might be some other problem such as network connectivity etc. Anyway - can I get anyone to look at this? Should I just submit another ticket - to be honest I don't have much confidence in some of the tech support staff. Or should I just abandon this VPS and move to another one?

Thanks...

October uptime report attached

Attachment
    Attached Files
    Last edited by juc1; 2012-10-30, 11:21 PM.

Here is a 'top' command from today which corresponds to a pingdom down alert. The average load climbs from low to over 7 and then begins to fall again - websites fail for about 15 minutes or until I restart the VPS...

Attachment
    Attached Files

Comment

Would the apache logs be any help to identify the cause of the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by juc1 View Post
        Would the apache logs be any help to identify the cause of the problem?
        Yes please

Also, what kind of application is running? Is it making using of MySQL or another database? Is everything involved with the website hosted directly on your VPS?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremya View Post
          Yes please
          @ jeremya thanks for your reply. I am not familair with apache logs so which files would be helpful? This is my list of files in /var/log/apache2/ apache logs - Pastebin.com

Also, what kind of application is running? Is it making using of MySQL or another database?
          It is a drupal website with MySQL database.

Is everything involved with the website hosted directly on your VPS?
          Yes

Thanks

Comment

VPS down 4 times so far today for a total of one hour.

One of them I got the attached plesk error

Attachment
            Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm, is Plesk down every time this occurs? If so, we may not find what we're looking for in the apache logs but if it's the load is getting particularly high leading up the mark it might help us.

We would want to see the error.log.##.gz with a timestamp just after or during a given incident date.

Comment

Out of curiousity, is your VPS control panel (virtuozzo power panel) functioning through these issues?

Comment

My first guess (unless you're also having trouble with Virtuozzo Power Panel at the same time) is that you may be a bit low on RAM. Please let us know how things are going now.

Comment

Working...
                  X