Parallels Plesk Panel 11 end-user series
17. How to find and install applications in Plesk
Instead of manually creating files, writing the
code and developing a design for your website, you can install web
applications that will accomplish most of these tasks for you. You can
use the applications to add features to your site, such as a blog, photo
gallery, online store or you can base your site entirely on a single
application such as WordPress or Joomla.
1) Plesk comes with a built-in
application installer that's pre-filled with a number of useful
applications, and your hosting provider may have added even more. Click
the applications tab.
Featured applications shows the most recommended and popular apps available for your website.
2) Select the learn more button to read about this app.
3) Go to all available applications.
Here, you can view more information about this application before you install it, which you can do by clicking the install button to the right.
This section shows all the applications, both free and commerical, that are available to be installed.
4) Select a category to view specific apps.
5) To refine the list, choose a sub-category.
We can now view all the applications related to content management on the web.
6) Click an app's name.
7) Let's begin installing Joomla by clicking this button.
8) Now you simply accept the terms and conditions and wait for the system to load with your information.
9) Click next.
Exactly what settings you'll need to enter varies, but most applications will require you to enter the same basic information.
10) Set the location where the app should be installed.
11) You can give administrative access to your Plesk account itself.
12) Or you can create a new user, which we'll do now. Click here.
13) Enter a username and the password two times.
14) Click show all settings to set the blog name, SMTP mail settings and more.
15) Type the site name.
16) Enter the SMTP host which Joomla will use to send e-mail. This is usually localhost.
17) The rest of the default settings for this application should be fine, so click install.
The application was successfully installed.
18) Let's return to the main applications page.
19) This time, go to manage installed applications.
This screen lists all the applications you have installed. If you
ever want to change an application's settings or uninstall an
application, this is where you would go.
20) Click an application's name.
21) You can click this link to view the admin interface.
22) If you ever need to change the settings for this app installation, use the change settings link.
23) To remove an application, use this link.
This is the end of the tutorial. Now you know how to find and install applications in Plesk.